[Harp-L] Pattern players

Is there such a thing as an original pattern player?  I don't think so.  I know of none since we
ALL have
influences that come from others we listen to. Jason, Howard, et al.  Even Mozart learned
from Haydn.
Regardless of the instrument we listen to, there are patterns we all adapt as our own  They
don't have to be
harmonica patterns.  Actually, it is probably better that you find patterns that are not
normally found on a
harmonica, from other instruments and other genres,  Doing this will offer more "originalty"
to your patterns
and playing.  The key is to emulate moreso than duplicate.  There are far too many players
that duplicate much
more than they ever emulate.  What was it that Paul delay said?  Something to the effect; The
world needs
another Litttle Walter sound alike like we need another Elvis impersonator.  That pretty much
sums it up.  Thank
you, thank you very much.

One of the keys to changing that is to apply what you have learned and are learning to
genres that you don't
expect to hear the harmonica.  I liked that non-harmonica songs thread.  That is exactly the
idea.  Regardless
of idiom, playing familiar patterns then takes on a different and a much more original sound.
That is what
many players ...like Popper...have done.  Like it or not he is doing alot of stuff in the Rock
genre that alot of
Rock harmonica players have never done.  This is probably why the "slam Popper thread" has
again raised its
ugly head.

Roger Gonzales
Fresno, CA.