[Harp-L] Re: Breaking patterns

As we progress as a player, and this relates to myself included, we do what
has been engrained in our heads. Dave Barrett is one that taught how to break
out of the mold, and I was starting to do it myself. For instance, you will
notice that when you hit the 6 draw, you will probably play the same note
after  or do the same run, like bending the 6, then blowing the 6. Recording
yourself  will point you towards where you always do the same things. Then, when
you hit  that 6 draw, Force yourself to play another note or hole and make
another run  from there. Do this with every note you are comfortable with starting
with, then  move to starting your runs on every hole possible, just for the
ability to be  fluid on your instrument. Going from 6 draw to 4 draw, skipping
holes, is also  very important. Here is a very cool lick Mitch Kashmar uses, it
is equal to what  is done on the bottom holes.  6 draw 4 draw, 6 draw 6 bend
4 draw, 6 bend 6  blow 5 draw 4 draw 5 draw 4 draw. Like doing the 1 draw 4
draw 1 draw 4 draw 4  bend -  1 draw 4 bend 4 blow. ..;;;;;;;;;;;;;   the amount
of  lines you can come up with is limitless once you learn to skip holes, it
is much  safer to do runs without skipping holes, so force yourself in
practice sessions,  then go ahead and do jamming. Structured practice is most
important for growth.  I am still a pea as I continue to learn about this instrument.
Paul Delay is one  that really is different and comes from a refreshing
approach. If you are Little  Walter fans, get that Neglected Masters double CD,
many are at a time I can feel  that Walter just started playing amplified and he
was getting a woody with this  new innovation. You can tell by how he hits the
notes and his phrasing from when  he recorded off mic in late 40's. His right
on bent notes are the staple of his  style. One of these Mornings is a great
third position song to learn, he is  playing acoustically so you can hear
every note. Good luck.