[Harp-L] On in- and exhaling

Sam Blancato wrote:

< What I wanted to discuss it the act/idea/problem/challenge/what
< ever of switching breath direction in Blues harmonica. >

Well, there´s little to discuss and your restriction to the
blues harp is an abridged version of the problem. Besides the
bass harp, the constant changing of the breath direction is
typical for all harmonicas or harps.

Oh, BTW, to finally end these useless debates why a harmonica is
called a harp and reversely, what about "harponica"??

So, you have to live with the breath changing, unless, you play the
blues on a chromatic. There you can use at least the enharmonics
for a a legato or unless, you are a tricky customizer who may be
able to construct a harponica where not only C E G but also
D F A are blows. But then you had the problem of learning
circular breathing.

To make a reedplate having only blow reeds isn´t possible?
Why not? I know of at least one harp where the blow and draw
reeds produce the same note, so what?

However, the breath changing is also advantageous, otherwise,
the bluesers were not able to imitate their trains. That´s why
Billy Strayhorn composed his "Take the A-train" ::))

But the main reason for this post wasn´t the breath changing
but an idea when I reflected my recent remarking about the
loudness of the CX 12.  I wrote:

<< ............the remarkable loudness of the CX 12 has 2 reasons.
<<  One is the funnel of the cover and the other is the curved
<< and closed mpc which works like a whispering dome. Both features
<< form a megaphon ..........>>

Hmmmh, a megaphon works like blowing on a harp. But what about
the draws. I immediately made a test with a CX 12 and measured the
blow and the draw in one chamber with a soundmeter and found no
difference. Ufff, an expected but astonishing effect and I thought
about the explanation.

Accoustic waves are transmitted by a vibrating air column. So, no matter
whether you play a blow or draw the vibrating air column has only one
direction to transmit the sound, the way out at the harp bottom.

In this connection it´s interesting that singing, speaking or whistling
is also possible when inhaling. Some people achieve a special effect
when laughing by inhaling. Of course, all these sound or noise
producings work better by exhaling but that has a simple reason.
At inhaling the vibrating air column is muffled by the mouth cavity
and is finally cut off at the pharynx.

Upshot: If in- and exhaling is considered a disadvantage when
             playing harponicas it shouldn´t be forgotten that the
             life-saving work of our lungs are at least the other side
             of the coin.

Siegfried