[Harp-L] rack

Rebecca asks if virtuosic rack playing is possible.  I'd say yes:
  Jimi Lee
  Ray Bonneville
  John Hammond Junior
  Slim Harpo

  She goes on to question the virtuosity of Jimmy Reed.  We must be from different planets.  When I listen to Reed, I hear one of the ALL TIME masters of harp.  That dude had control over his high notes like few before him and basically wrote the book on the modern first position high note method.  He had great control over his low notes.  He had an amazing sense of playing behind the beat and his phrasing included basic blues batterns such as
  an AAB phrase or an AABA then turnaround phrasing but on top of that was able to create hooks and melodies that you cannot listen to 3 hours of blues without hearing his influence.
  All this while playing guitar and listening to his wife whisper the next lyric in his ear.

  In my opinion, Reed is required reading.  Although I like other players as much or better, IMO
  if you want to understand modern blues harp you must listen to:
  John Lee Williamson
  RIce Miller
  Little Walter
  Big Walter Horton
  Sonny Terry
  Jimmy Reed
  George Smith

  Okay, that's my opinion.
  On a side note, I got Butter's Live at Winterland.  Phenomenal CD.
  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com