RE: [Harp-L] Playing harmonica in a rack?

<snip>

What are your feelings on racks? Are they handy for multi-instrumentalists?
Or do you find yourself snickering at the very thought of such a
contraption?

I had a gig last night where I played mandolin instead of the guitar role I
usually play. The leader of this band never tells me what key we are in
before the song starts; so, many times, I don't have time to get the right
harp. Having the rack enables you to put the right harp in front of you.
What I wound up doing several times was grabbing the harp, playing it and
replacing the harp that was in the rack WHILE PLAYING MELODY, mostly Irish
and English folk stuff because, of course, I was dressed like a pirate.
This band gave me my start playing harp live; the bandleader encouraged me
to buy a rack and bring harmonicas because I was replacing a guy who did
that. I never liked a rack; it still poses certain difficulties, and of
course hand effects are attractive. Still, there is a certain power in being
able to play guitar and harp at the same time.
I am reminded of last week's Traintime thread--it's all about the song, not
the distinct parts.
Gary
PS My buddy John Frazer is the fellow who got me started long ago being
serious about harp, and plays drums and sings while playing harp in a rack.
His tone is "pretty darned good", and he plays great and knows a lot of
songs. One of these days he's going to bust out and at that point he'll be
famous, so I thought I'd mention him now, for future reference. 'Course
he'll probably have a drummer at that point.
Gary