Re: [Harp-L] Age discrimination-add 1

(message got away before I finished; )

In a message dated 2/12/07 3:11:55 PM, Philharpn writes:

> Chops don't have an age. Either you can play the stuff or you can't.

But there is something else going on here -- and it's not age discrimination.

> * The only bearing that age might have on taking a traveling/very active gig
> calendar is physical stamina. When you're in your '20s, you put up with a
> lot of "travel" -- even if it's only around town. But then if you're old, you
> may be done with the day job and don't have to worry about giving up your
> sleep at night because you got nothing else to do all day but sleep.
>
> *The other element is genre -- that dirty word that probably means in this
> case whatever kids in their 20s are listening to today. If you're old like me
> -- I have no idea what's "in" today and if I was going to take the job (too
> far away to be practical) I would have to LEARN all the current songs whereas
> somebody in his/her 20s would already know them. (Just like I would have
> known the current top 40 in the 60s and my parents mostly wouldn't have had a
> clue.)

* Never underestimate sex appeal or marketing. I may be the best harmonica
player still walking around under my power but if I'm and old, fat geezer, there
is no way in hell I'm gonna draw in the young women (along with their drink
buying boyfriends) to the band's gigs.

I live in Troy, Michigan (city of the SPAH post office box) which is
currently undergoing a   Hooters controversy at the instigation of the City Council.
Perhaps you read about it. Hoots has operated a bar-restaurant for 10 years on
the east side of the city (15 Mile and John R) with no complaints, bar fights
or any of that. Recently,   a bar closed about a mile away on the corner of a
main road, in a little better location with a much larger building and lots
more parking.

Hooters simply wanted to transfer its liquor license to the new location but
the City Council majority decided Hooters did not reflect family values and
refused. Hooters spent $1 million fixing the joint u and opened anyway a few
weeks ago without the liquor license. It is suing in federal court and the case
is to start Feb. 26.

For those of you who have never been to Hooters, the young waitresses wear
short shorts and scooped blouses to display their pulchritude. I had never
been to a Hooters but I decided to check out the new location in Troy. I had been
to the same spot when it was under the previous owner and once saw John
Sebastian Jr. perform solo there about 15 years ago. Now it's a sports bar with
lots of TV screens all over the place.

Now what if some of those sweet young girls were replaced with grannies in
low-cut blouses and short shorts? Would that satisfy the family values crowd?

I doubt it would work. For one thing -- and this is very important --
waitresses in Michigan are not paid the minimum wage because they get tips. So the
bars only have to pay them $2-$3 an hour because they "make the rest of their
wages from tips" which they are supposed to pay income tax on.

While everybody loves a grandmother, how many grandmothers would be willing
to dispatch chicken wings to customers in a sports bar?

If the sweet young things get more tips than grandma, is that age
discrimination? OR the market economy at work?

I think what's true from grandma is also true for grandpa, even if he is a
pretty good harp player.

I don't think Tony Bennett ever played harp, but the longevity of his career
at his age has much to do with the fact that he didn't take a lot of time off.