[Harp-L] Re: Harp Amps

A long-time issue for harp players in electrified blues bands is how to hear yourself on stage and how to have your band mates hear you on stage. Using a small amp (Kalamazoo or Champ) that depends on being mic'ed through the PA can get you heard in the house, but putting the harp in the monitors so the harp player and his/her band mates can hear harp on stage in the mix is problematic due to feedback. Even if you point the Kalamazoo at you so it's like your own monitor, the other bandmates might not hear it.

On those rare large gigs where I have had the pleasure of having a professional sound man who understands harp, I actually had harp in the monitors without problems. On most bar gigs where we run our own sound (maybe a Mackie 808S powered mixer, 2 EAW speakers and 2 floor monitors), I keep harp out of the monitors and need an amp that can be heard on stage and mic'ed into the house (but not the monitors).

If the - small harp amp into the PA - approach really worked well, I think we'd see it used more often as I'm sure we'd all love to just show up to a gig with a Champ amp and a harp case. I know as I get older I'd like that at load in/load out time.

I know, I know, get the guitar to turn down........

But since that isn't working, I'll stick with the SJ410 and a folding cart.

Andy Vincent