Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Loud extreme amps/ Subject Re: Jason Ricci Acoustic?

On Feb 13, 2007, at 1:43 AM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

Big snip a dee doo dah &<

I have extremely sensitive hearing...and one could perhaps not be faulted
for attributing my defense of Jason to the fact that he's a good personal
friend but for the fact that Smo-Joe, yet another "sensitive hearing" person...and
no fan of high volumes (like me) said the very same thing about Jason and
his band as I have...that for some reason he finds JR&NB easy to listen to
precisely because they DON'T go past that level into "painful".

The problem (as 'I' see it) is that audiences here in the U.S. are too loud. Therefore, the band has to adjust. While at Bert's we had this table of complete and utter anus orifices. Four guys. All much younger (32-42?) vs 64, and much bigger (202-231?) vs 176 1/2, so busting either of the two REAL loud mouths in the chops was out of the question. I'm no hero. They were sport fishermen. Came in in their 477k boat, and drank 'designer' beer. I suppose their money thought that it gave them the priveledge to be obnoxious. The one clown was so loud that it actually hurt my ears, so I went out on the deck for a 'ciggie'

Funny, after they left, Jason turned the volume DOWN. I thought this was strange in a world where I'm used to the volume creeping UP as the evening wears on? Many years ago I was at a Paul DeLay show. I couldn't stay. It was too loud. I think that 129.75 Roentgens is too loud. I recently quit a band because of the volume. When are these sound? guys gonna wise up?

smo-joe

p.s. I think the size and SHAPE of the venue has a lot to do with it. There are times when ANYONE sounds loud.