RE: [Harp-L] Bending intonation...the regular kind

Chris Michalek sez:
> thinking about the mechanic of note generation is going to make
> you a stiff player.  Get your head out of the equation and just
> play.  Do you think about where your tongue is when you're
> talking, singing, humming or whistling? Nope...  do do it with
> the harmonica either. Focus on creating the tone/pitch etc in
> your body and then just play it on the harmonica.
>
> I can count on one hand the number of harmonica players in the
> world, that I would classify has having great acoustic tone. You
> body already know how to generate any tone you want (within a
> range of course), learn to make music with your body before your
> put a harp to your mouth. Air trumpet anybody?  Your air trumpet
> is going to help you a lot more than listening to a bunch of
> people who can't really do it. Listen to yourself.
>
> Play!

I see your point, Chris, but I would contend that in any learning process
one has to think about what you are doingas you learn. Through practice and
experience you eventually get to where you no longer have to think about the
mechanics and can just "Play!". I suggest that every player of every musical
instrument gets to that painful stage where your tone and chops are very
mechanical and "forced," or to use your term, "stiff." That stage in the
learning process and the associated frustration is what makes a lot of
would-be musicians stop even trying to play. We all look forward to the day
when our instrument is an extension of our mind and body. I'm just not there
yet.

The bottom line, though, is that your advice to "Play" is the only way we
will ever get better. And I agree that getting too hung up on technique can
impede one's progress as a musician.

Michelle