Re: [Harp-L] Timbre, pitch, intonation

In a message dated 2/15/2007 2:21:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

No, it's  not necessary.  Just don't act surprised when other musicians tell
you  that harp players aren't musicians.

Twice in my life I've had college  music professors offer to get me in the
music department after hearing me play.  That's not a brag, just something to
make my point here. I've never experienced  having someone say that harmonica
player aren't musicians but if I did I'd  offer to switch instruments right on
the spot, at a gig or wherever we are.  Matter of fact a good friend and guitar
player (he can play just about  anything) teaches music and theory at
Mercyhurst College in Meadville Penn. and  he told me once that playing the harmonica
by ear like that is one of the  biggest indicators of being a true musician
that he's ever seen. Jim is not one  to jive about anything either. I once
asked him to teach me the circle of 5ths  and other things and he told me that I
do all that stuff anyway and quit  worrying about it. It still bothers me that
I don't have the nomenclature  down for all of this, but what he said just let
me play without complicating  things and taking all the fun out of it. To
each their own.
            Randy