[Harp-L] RE: patterns

Message: 7
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 21:49:25 -0500
From: icemanle@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Pattern players
To: mmolino54@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Iceman wrote:

I speak of Miles Davis - there are a lot of recorded examples of his group
playing a 2, 3, 4, or 5 night gig - same musicians, same songs. However,
each version of the same song sounds different in that the musicians are not
repeating themselves or predictable patterns, but are always striving to
find something new and in the moment for these performances. On the other
hand, I've seen Rod Piazza play two nights in a row, and for all intensive
purposes, it was an identical sounding show (for the most part), right down
to the moans and 'yeah baby' that he uttered between phrases.
A friend told me he saw Jimi Hendrix at the Fillmore probably in 1966 or so
after the first album came out.  Of course he was totally blown away.  He
snuck into the balcony and got to hang around for the second show.   This
was the old days, not 2 sets, but 2 shows with separate admission.   He was
shocked to hear he played the same set almost note for note.  I think in
later days Hendrix started loosening up.  Harmonica content--Paul
Butterfield may have been in the audience.

ms