Re: [Harp-L] Timbre, pitch, intonation

Rick wrote:
"Harri, you don't work with guitar players, do you....

Richard is correct.  Many musicians in popular music regard
the harp to be a toy and harp players to be noisemakers --
because a lot of them are!  Just ask Chris "Buddha" Michalek.  8^)

You are fortunate you have not encountered such ignorance.
Perhaps musicians are more enlightened in Finland."

Rick, I'm not a pro but when I  play live it is always with one or two guitars. Not once have I encountered prejudice towards the instrument but it might be because I play only blues harp. In popular music this toy and noisemaking attitude is probably just like you said.

My biggest reward was two years ago when I sat in in a band in front of 600 people who went wild. Nobody in the audience and not one of the band members asked how much I know about musical theory. I think it was Randy who said that playing by ear often gives a good outcome for the audience and the musician.

And Rick, I don't believe musicians are any more enlightened in Finland. They're very good, though. Just ask Steve Guyger who's played with quite a few.

Harri