Re: [Harp-L] Blah Blah Blah...> Jug Band link

W. Bee writes:
"The most important person to please is your self."

there's a point I agree whole-heartedly with.  I've been in bands that started with a bunch of us just having fun, playing for ourselves, and moved onto playing out.  with this approach, we achieve some level of success as far as people digging us and being invited to play gigs and festivals (as opposed to having to scrounge and scuffle for every gig we could get.)  in a few of these bands, there's been a member or two who lets this small measure of success get to them, and wants to try to capitalize on it by shifting into the territory of presuming to know what the people want to hear... which has always ended poorly for that individual or the whole band.  My point, to echo Warren's sentiments... how can you please anyone else if you're not even pleasing yourself?

speaking of pleasing... Will Shade.  Noah Lewis. etc. are pleasing, yes?

a crazy mandolin player buddy of mine just sent me this link to what has to be the most comprehensive jug band collection ever compiled.  All sorts of fine stuff to please...

http://www.1001tunes.com/HEAHEAH/jugbands.html

Jim.

>>> Warren Bee <wlb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 2/22/2007 8:36 AM >>>
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing

It's only rock and roll but I like it.

Blues with a feeling.that is what I have today.

I would be equally mesmerized if I was in standing in front of Peg Leg Sam
or Miles Davis.

Bottom line is delivery & sales. What do you deliver? Do they buy?

I believe we humans get pleased on many levels. As artists we need to pick
our battles. You can't fight or win them all. The most important person to
please is your self. Happy people win more battles.

Harp content: as I blow this week my push is to play fewer notes. Less
notes. More feeling. Leaning on key places within the song with more thick
emotion and less "look ma no hands" downhill lickity split filler. Also
working on a song; working title: Pearwood Pie. News at eleven.

Warren Bee