Re: [Harp-L] Theory, etc. - history of positions

I took 34.5 million, tossed out the women, girls and very small boys and estimate 10.33 million males that could have had a harmonica.
I divided this by 2,200 (10% of Hohner's production-a fair estimate) and that comes to 1 harmonica for every 4,697 males of harmonica bearing age. I stand on my feeling that a harmonica from 1882, 1905 or even 1928 could be buried and look ancient by now. I also feel that the one from 1928 would be 'noticably' more modern looking.

I don't feel that purveyors of Civil War relics do what furniture 'distressers' do. That is: add worm holes, beat the furniture with chains and apply all sorts of mysterious oriental finishes in order to make their stuff look old. Aging Civil War relics would take a long time and I don't think they have that luxury. What I DO think is that (some) find junk and try to enhance their position by representing it as something that it isn't.

Sort of like Joran VanDerSloot purporting to be Anna Nicole's baby's daddy. :)

smokey-joe