Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Theory, etc. - history of positions

Smojoe writes (snipped):

"I took 34.5 million, tossed out the women, girls and very small  boys
and estimate 10.33 million males that could have had a  harmonica.
I divided this by 2,200 (10% of Hohner's production-a fair  estimate)
and that comes to 1 harmonica for every 4,697 males of  harmonica
bearing age."

Hey!   thanks for "tossing out the women"!  sheesh!   Who ever said harmonica
playing was strictly relegated  to the male of the species?  <VBG>

No really, was it so back then?  I have no idea since the  harmonica never
seemed to me to be a gender specific instrument,  so am only wondering if more
women played it then than people today  realize?  Since I do know for sure
there were several Black  women mentioned as players during the early days of the
20th Century....

...inquiring minds would be interested  in the facts    :)

Elizabeth

http://www.aol.com.