RE: [Harp-L] Theory, etc. - history of positions

C harp, key of E.
RD

>>> "Mark Lavoie" <lavoie@xxxxxxxxx> 24/02/2007 3:03:44 >>>
Winslow,
What about DeFord Bailey? Also what key chromatic harmonica does
Stevie
Wonder use in, Is'nt She Lovely?
Stay tuned!
Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Winslow Yerxa
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:49 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Theory, etc. - history of positions

--- Marc Spilka <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>
> Who is credited for inventing cross harp?  i'm assuming it was some
> old time
> poor uneducated musician but how the hell did someone come up with
> the idea
> of playing a harp a 4th above the tonic key?

You mean a 5th above the tonic key. C-D-E-F-G, 1-2-3-4-5 (you count
the
starting note)

The origin is lost in the mists of time. Early American instruction
books dating from the 1870s and 1880s make no mention of it, and the
very earliest recordings, circa 1900, are in first position. Jump
ahead
to the 1920s, with not much harp recorded in between as far as anyone
knows - and we find recordings of second position playing, starting
with Henry Whittier, a white rural southerner. Fourth position (A on a
C harp), fifth position (E on a C harp) and 12th (F on a C harp) also
made appearances during the 1920s.

So evidently playing a harmonica in a key other that the labeled one
started very early. Why buy five harp, even at a nickel apiece, when
one will do?

Once in a while I have heard the term "cross" or "crossed" used to
describe playing a diatonic accordion in other than the labeled key,
so
the term may be borrowed from accordion - or maybe accordionists
borrowed from harp players - who knows? Cajun players of the one-row
diatonic accordion, whose ten buttons have the same note layout as the
ten holes of the diatonic harmonica, commonly play their instruments
in
what we call second position. C is the most popular key of box, and
they usually play it in G.

Winslow