Re: [Harp-L] Nails in Combs

Rick Epping has articulated the belief - and I apologize in advance if
this paraphrase from memory is a mischaracterization - that nails allow
the reedplate to float above the comb in a sort of dynamic relationship
that allows them to vibrate more freely and perhaps adapt to small
changes in the size and shape of the wooden slab

This is rationalization BS for the following reasons:

1. You do not want the reedplates to vibrate with respect to the comb because the collisions with the comb will absorb the vibrational energy of the reeds.
2. Screws are better than nails because, for air-tightness, you want the fasteners to pull the plates and the comb together, even if one or both have to bend slightly to come together.
3. Repeated removal and replacement of nails makes them lose the power to pull the plates against the comb.
4. You don't need nails under the covers because the cover screws hold the covers and the reedplates down.
5. Nails are cheap and easy for the manufacturer but are an abomination for the repair technician.

Sorry for not being able to express a clear, definite opinion on the subject. ;o)

Vern

The wooden-combed Echo series of tremolo harmonicas are also nailed
together as are the wood-combed Auto Valve and the standard version of
the 270 chromatic. All the 364 and 365 model I've bought in the last
year or so - including one SBS - have been nailed together as well.

Two thing I have found in favor of nails are:

--When you want to have points of fastening close to the covers, nails
can get much closer to the cover edges than screws due to their smaller
and flatter heads.

--As nails do not penetrate through to the other side of the comb, they
can be placed in a pattern that is optimal for fastening each
individual reedplate. To do this with screws you have to embed several
individual thread receivers in the comb in both sides, or use a
material hard enough that it can be threaded - procedures far more
complex and expensive than using nails.

Winslow

--- Ken Hildebrand <airmojoken@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've bought a few 'custom' Marine Band harps over
the past few years, that still have the nails holding
the reedplates on (instead of screws).

I was kind of disappointed to see this in a 'custom'
harp, but the customizer must think that the nails
are good enough, and/or if the reedplastes need to be
removed, then it should be sent back to the customizer
for service.

In any case, I find it disappointing that some
customizers still use nails or have reverted back to
using nails (from using screws).

Ken H in OH