Re: [Harp-L] new member/Chromatic mouthpieces

Hi Ed
When the chromo is new, you don't need any lubrication except water. The first thing I do is jewel the slide assembly. Then it's a matter of every time the slide gets sticky enough, starts to slow down and then gets to the point where the spring will not return the slide as fast as you are playing, you dip the chromo.

Dipping goes like this: Find yourself a plastic lid from something. Mine is flat and from a sewing machine tool kit. It is 9" (225mm) long, by 2" (50mm)
wise by 1/2" (12.7mm) deep. Any size that the chromo will fit in will do. May as well find one that fits a '64'. The important thing is that the bottom is very flat.

Place as much warm water in the tray as will submerge the entire mouthpiece assembly (but NO more). This will be around 1/4" (6.35mm) give or take. Holding the chromo from the back place it holes down into the tray. Let it sit for a few minutes. You might want to brace the sides so the chromo doesn't fall over. Actuate the slide 2 dozen or more times and gently swish the chromo back and forth but not enough to get water inside and past the assembly as far as the wind savers.

Pick the chromo straight up and tap it straight down into you other hand which is holding a soft lint free cloth or towel. Tap a half dozen times getting ever brisker and that should do it.

When the chromo gets older, chrome plating will wear off the slide assembly pieces in many different spots. The brass will tarnish. These should be de-oxidized with rubbing compound or some other very gently abrasive. You don't want to prematurely wear out the plating. The I will wax the slide assembly mating pieces with paste wax and buff it completely. This will seal the raw brass for a while. In between dippings, I use baby oil thinned with WD40. It only takes a couple dabs on 2-4 places of the slide with the wet end of a 'frayed' toothpick or paper match stick.

I do a lot of very fast stuff (Sambas) and never ever had a problem. I have about a book's worth of stuff I do, but this will get you started.

smokey-joe