[Harp-L] small amp/big venue

Yeah Blake, congrats!
  Especially since it is a recording, they most certainly are going to have good equipment there.  Having a small amp may ultimately come in handy.
  If you have a large amp, you will still be mic'ed for the recording.  Normally that mic will double as the signal  to the mains (what the audience hears).  If your amp is loud, they will barely turn you up to let the audience hear you.  The only volume on the recording, pre the mix (where hopefully they will balance everyone), will be the volume they set for the main.  Your regular amp volume will not be recorded.
  With a small amp, a good sound guy will balance you out with the band, turning your microphone volume way up.  Then hopefully the recording mixer will balance you down.

  I have had plenty of live recordings where I was screaming onstage and pindropping on the recording.
  Especially considering the importance of the gig, I think it would be professional to voice your concern to the bandleader and even taking the iniative to call the place and speak to the sound guy.  You could always borrow a big one, bring both and test it out in soundcheck.
  MIchael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com