Re: [Harp-L] Recording advice needed

I have a VHS tape compilation of live performances by the late Kansas
City bluesman Little Hatch, which I purchased at a fundraiser benefit
for his family shortly after his death. I would like advice about how
to transfer the audio to cd format, and possibly a program to mix it
for better quality. Would this be something one of the digital
recorders would do nicely? This isn't for the purpose of creating
bootlegs; I just hate thinking I'm wearing the tape out every time I
watch it or risk the machine eating it, so it just sits on the shelf.
Thanks,
Joe Spiers

Since the VHS tape is analog, the stereo out jacks on the VCR can be fed to a PC and the songs can be captured with the free software program called Audacity. With a plug-in (Lame) you can save that as MP3 files and copy those to a CD. There is other free software, like MediaCoder that can convert that to Vorbis or WMA if you prefer. I made a CD from a VHS tape not long ago using that method. A one of a kind harp CD.

Peace and music,
Dave