Re: [Harp-L] Don't feed the troll (was: Popper)

On 1/14/2007 8:09:22 AM, Jonathan Ross (jross38@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Please don't feed the troll.  The original post was an ad hominem
> attack and basically a flame (if Mr. Popper is a list-member, which
> he might be).  The best response is to ignore it, and to not feed
> the troll.

I don't see it that way. It was an opinion expressed and nothing more.
I can't see any wrong with that, and no response was requested, nor implied expected. No response is ever required anyway, hence the 'delete button'. On the other hand, there is also not a definition for "the best response", and any such might very well be enlightening and useful to the whole list.

As for 'flaming'... accusing one of flaming is often the first flame, as I see it. Most of the flaming I witness nowadays involves attacking the message, or its messenger onlist, thus publicly. Truly, forum trolls are a reality, but who among us is savvy enough to recognize each and every one and then label them as such?

The issue of guarding our rights of free expression and guarding us all from free expression by another is hardly a fine line to me. Yes, I may think a question or comment is stupid or even 'trolling', and I may feel responses are just as bad; but, the opposite may also be true on either count, depending on my interest, knowledge, understanding, whatever.

The point I'm making is... well, I guess I did. The Delete Button is your friend. But, open your Mind to control it.

Another note... Thanks, JRR, for forwarding Siegfried's post, and also for review comments on Gockl´s harps earlier. I started a response, but have really been tied up too much lately to manage finishing it. Hope to soon, and to both you and Siegfried. [Then again... I have the world's largest postponed emails file! Which is a comfort to many, I bet! ;)]

Bobbie

P. S. Bulldogge... How old IS Snuffy now?? Send me an image, if you can - of you both! [I feel I've known him over a decade but never seen him! Sweet doggie!] =bg=