Re: [Harp-L] Don't feed the troll (was: Popper)

As John Lincoln Wright wrote:

"Never call another man a fool.  Fools always speak for  themselves."

In a message dated 1/14/2007 6:27:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
bogio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

On  1/14/2007 8:09:22 AM, Jonathan Ross (jross38@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>  Please don't feed the troll.  The original post was an ad hominem
>  attack and basically a flame (if Mr. Popper is a list-member, which
> he  might be).  The best response is to ignore it, and to not feed
>  the troll.

I don't see it that way.  It was an opinion expressed  and nothing more.
I can't see any wrong with that, and no response
was  requested, nor implied expected.  No response
is ever required  anyway, hence the 'delete
button'.  On the other hand, there is also  not a
definition for "the best response", and any such
might very well  be enlightening and useful to the whole list.

As for 'flaming'...  accusing one of flaming is
often the first flame, as I see it.  Most  of the
flaming I witness nowadays involves attacking the
message, or  its messenger onlist, thus
publicly.  Truly, forum trolls are a  reality, but
who among us is savvy enough to recognize each
and every  one and then label them as such?

The issue of guarding our rights of  free
expression and guarding us all from free
expression by another is  hardly a fine line to
me.  Yes, I may think a question or comment is
stupid or even 'trolling', and I may feel
also be true on either count, depending on my
interest, knowledge, understanding, whatever.

The point I'm making  is... well, I guess I
did.  The Delete Button is your friend.   But,
open your Mind to control it.

Another note... Thanks, JRR, for  forwarding
Siegfried's post, and also for review comments on
Gockl´s  harps earlier.  I started a response, but
have really been tied up  too much lately to
manage finishing it.  Hope to soon, and to both
you and Siegfried.  [Then again... I have the
world's largest  postponed emails file!  Which is
a comfort to many, I bet!  ;)]

Bobbie

P. S.  Bulldogge...  How old IS Snuffy
now??  Send me an image, if you can - of you
both!  [I feel  I've known him over a decade but
never seen him!  Sweet  doggie!]  =bg=