[Harp-L] how to safely clean an old echo harp?

"Fernando Bresslau" <fernando@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Echo Harps have been made for decades in the same manner. Thus, it is really
> difficult to date them, and they are very common, not having really a value
> as a collectible. They are fine harmonicas and look great and are,
> therefore, very popular.

i have an old one that belonged to my grandfather.  i've always thought of it
as a keepsake, not a playable instrument.  but all this talk about them got
me thinking that i really should try and restore it to its former glory, and then
play it.  if nothing else it'd mean a lot to my mom, who grew up hearing her
dad play it, and loves that i play now, too.

it's in ok shape.  some tarnish on the covers, but the comb looks good.
probably pretty dusty (he died in the 60's).  i know some folks have posted
about how to clean 'em up, but is there any "official" advice on what to do,
or not do, when restoring these?

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
'Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it...to someone.