[Harp-L] Re: What IS a Pro?

Interesting to see what list members consider a pro to be.  When a matter of definition comes up, I like to check the dictionary first to see what the learned consensus is.  so here's what dictionary.com has to say about the definition of "professional":

1. following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.
2. of, pertaining to, or connected with a profession: professional studies.
3. appropriate to a profession: professional objectivity.
4. engaged in one of the learned professions: A lawyer is a professional person.
5. following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime: a professional golfer.
6. making a business or constant practice of something not properly to be regarded as a business: âA salesman,â he said, âis a professional optimist.â
7. undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain: professional baseball.
8. of or for a professional person or his or her place of business or work: a professional apartment; professional equipment.
9. done by a professional; expert: professional car repairs.
ânoun 10. a person who belongs to one of the professions, esp. one of the learned professions.
11. a person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation frequently engaged in by amateurs: a golf professional.
12. an expert player, as of golf or tennis, serving as a teacher, consultant, performer, or contestant; pro.
13. a person who is expert at his or her work: You can tell by her comments that this editor is a real professional.

The key concepts appear to me to be this: a pro makes a livelihood of a given activity, and a pro is expert.  These are of course complementary, not mutually exclusive.

Beyond that, I like what Tom Ball said: amateurs practice to get it right, pros practice so they can't get it wrong.

Note also that the root of "amateur" is the latin word for "love", meaning that amateurs--unlike pros--do the job for love, not money.  The implication here is that an amateur may have the same level of skill as a pro, but different motivation.  But we expect and demand a higher level of skill in a pro (as per Tom Ball's comment).

On a somewhat related topic, I saw Prince perform in a Las Vegas nightclub on Friday night, and I was completely blown away.  It was as if James Brown had added guitar playing on the level of Jimi Hendrix to his already amazing singing and dancing.  Now that's pro.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
Latest MP3s always at http://www.broadjam.com/rhunter