To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 2:47 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] re: Blues in Nurnburg

Greg asks about blues clubs in Germany (the town is unimportant for this post) becausehe'll be visiting. At the risk of being called a snob or snot, I'll take this opportunity to do something I've always wanted when I see these posts.

How about actually checking out the culture you'll be visiting. How about looking for German music, rather than some rehashed version of an American form. See what German folk or other music is there. If you're in Germany, maybe see if there's a program on one of their historic organs--hear Bach on an instrument he played. Or find a martins-horn band. Or something, anything other than going to the musical equivalent of McDonald's (American music, American food, etc...).

I mean no offense by this, but it's a question I've always wanted to ask--a rhetorical question. I will be travelling soon myself, and I want to absorb the culture there--I get enough American culture where I live, and it's the original at that.