[Harp-L] Bass Harp Instructional Materials (L-O-N-G)

So far, I've found some sets of instructional materials
for bass harp. If anyone knows of other materials,
PLEASE POST SOURCE INFORMATION ABOUT THEM!

1. ROBERT BERTHIAUME

2 books, lots of exercises, classical approach (music theory,
scales, and arpeggios for bass harp). Has CDs (originally tapes).
(While you're talking with Danny, ask him how to pronounce
Robert's last name!)

Sales blurb by Danny Wilson (MR. Bass Harp!) and ordering
info at:

Web site: http://www.bassharp.com/bb-bb.htm

BEGINNING BASS PLAYER (41 pages)
Book One - $14.00 (Item #BB-1)
CD One - $12.00 (Item #BB-1a)

INTERMEDIATE/ADVANCED BASS PLAYER (80 pages)
Book Two - $16.00 (Item #BB-2)
CD Two - $12.00 (Item #BB-2a)

Shipping and Handling (USA) - $4.00

2. JUDY SIMPSON SMITH (Al Smith's wife)

1 book. Lots of music theory starting with the basics,
progressing rapidly. Everything applied to bass harp,
with lots of insights and good exercises. I learned a
lot about music theory in general from Judy's lessons.
It's handwritten, but it is very readable, and it is
packed with information. Judy has a very enjoyable
style of instruction!

Web site: http://www.jldyermusic.com/

Learning to Play the BASS HARMONICA
(40 pages)
HTSHOTS-BASS $19.95 + $6.95 S&H

3. RICHARD MARTIN

THE Harmonica Educator par excellence! (Richard
was/is active on Harp-L). 2 books containing reprints
of bass harp articles from the Harmonica Educator
publication. Very much a classical approach in
pedagogical style. A lot of technique information,
and a lot of variety in musical material to study.
I haven't kept up with the Harmonica Educator pub
for a few years; there may be more information in
more recent articles. Ask Richard; he is VERY helpful!

Web site: http://members.aol.com/heducator2/

Telephone (937) 964-1115 (Call Richard for prices)

Book 1: Beginning and Intermediate Level Bass
Harmonica Players: Musicianship and Performance Skills
(100 pages)

Book 2: Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced Level
Chromatic and Bass Harmonica Players: Musical Exercises,
Duets, and Ensemble Music.
(135 pages)

4. PHIL DUNCAN
Phil included a short section (pp. 224-233) on bass harp
in his publication Mel Bay's Complete Harmonica Book. Lots
of good stuff for all types of harmonicas (diatonic,
chromatic, chord, bass) in this book. The section on the
chord harmonica includes some really good patterns for
rhythm.

Web site: http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?ProductID=94713

MB94713 Mel Bay's Complete Harmonica Book $25.00
(240 pages; 10 pages on bass harp)
ISBN 1-56222-280-5

5. AL SMITH (Judy Simpson Smith's husband)
Technically, Al's book is about the 48-chord harmonica.
However, it is FABULOUS in terms of rhythm patterns,
which you will need to learn if you're playing bass harp.
I got it because I wanted to learn how to chug on diatonic;
go figure. There are literally HUNDREDS of exercises! Al
also gives 7 basic articulations which can be used for
just about any rhythm pattern you could conceive. (The ONLY
source that I've found with more riffs and rhythm patterns
is The Idiot's Guide to Solos and Improvisation - and they
are NOT specifically oriented toward harmonica, but Al's ARE!
Al also has a book for the 20-chord harmonica; I don't have
it, so I can't tell you anything about it. If it's similar
to the 48-chord book in terms of instruction and exercises,
then it is probably just as good.

Web site: http://www.jldyermusic.com/

Chugger's Manual for 48-Chord Harmonica
106 pages
HTSHOTS-48 $24.95 + $6.95 S&H

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

Each author has a unique approach, and there is
surprisingly a lot of different information, even
in the music theory emphasis, with very little
duplication of materials. (Hey, a scale is a scale,
so it's a little difficult to avoid duplicating
stuff like that!)

Lots of stuff to study, and lots of helpful hints for
the beginning bass harpist to the more advanced players,
including breathing techniques, bass harp maintenance, etc.

I'd strongly suggest getting ALL of them, if you are serious
about learning to play bass harp!

Lest anyone wonder: no, I'm NOT a very good bass harmonica
player - but I'm SLOWLY trying to learn how to play it, in
between intense bouts of "short harp" practice.)

HTH,
Crazy ('bout harp [including bass harp]!) Bob