[Harp-L] size amp for outdoors?

My band is on the lineup for a large July 4 concert --
last year about 6,000 people showed.  I have read that
some folks bring their big amps to such gigs.  I am
assuming for such a big crowd, that even a bassman
type amp would be miked (right?).  If that's so, it
seems like the only reason (because I also have
smaller amps that I love) to play the large amp is for
increased stage volume w/o going through the monitors.
 Typically, I get my sound from my amp and a touch is
in other monitors.  Becasue the stage is outdorrs
(with no reflective walls), do you think I should use
the bassman for good stage volume??  I suspect that I
couls also use a 2-6V6 amp, but it would have to be up
significantly in my monitor and probably others.  Any
thoughts?  Thanks!
--John K.
PS I will  be making up my solos on the spot becasue I
can't remember what I made up last night!   :-)