[Harp-L] Clarification

Here is a brief clarification.

A copyright means that you have the right to control any copies made of your work.

So for the songwriter who files the copyright, anyone who makes a copy or performs the work or uses a recording of the work owes the songwriter royalties, or needs to get a license from the artist or the entity that holds the copyright. This is NOT a performance copyright at issue here, it is the songwriters copyright usually submitted as a sound recording (SR) copyright.

A performance copyright is a right to be compensated for copying the PERFORMANCE itself, so film of a dance, or the recording of a musical performance in a video or audio format is what is generally at issue. As I said before, for recorded music this is usually resolved by a work for hire agreement.

As for playing a copyrighted work live, that depends on the setting. IIRC the venue owner is supposed to have arrangements with ASCAP et al, that covers jukebox songs and cover bands. How often this happens in reality is a good question to explore. I am not certain as to who owes whom if the performer is the one who is putting on the show as I have never dealt with the issue nor read about it in the literature.

You wouldn't pay anyone directly, ASCAP, or the songwriter's union in question, is responsible for collecting the royalties and distributing it to their members. The publishing company who holds the copyright then distributes it to the proper parties.

One last aside, there is no copyright protection in general that extends more than 75 years beyond the life of the copyright holder or a maximum of 125 years, again, IIRC.

My apologies to list members who find the information I posted on this topic offensive. I won't be posting on the topic any further and will most likely not post any legal information in the future given the negative responses I have read relating to the post, the law in general and what is too often the ugly stereotype associated with lawyers.

This post is not legal advice and is written without research and may contain errors. It is not to be relied upon for making decisions in your artistic endeavors and the legal consequences thereof. If you have a copyright issue or are contemplating filing for copyright protection, you need to contact an attorney licensed in your state. The material in this post is offered for entertainment purposes only.

http://newlivehotmail.com