[Harp-L] Msiraigalp

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 11:35:54 -0400
From: "Paul Cantin" <cantin46@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

Glenn  Quotes
"So when someone steals my book that I
worked so hard to write and puts it up on the Internet without telling me,
they're stealing the bread off my table. Does that bring it home to you?"

Sure,it's your book but it's some one else's hard work, ideas and creation, you just copied their work. Transcribed it! (Thanks Winslow, par ma tres grande faut) For all we know he may have used your book to play the solo therefore aiding and abetting the guy.

"Little Walter worked
very hard to become the towering artist that he was. And he deserves credit
for that work, even in death."

In my opinion(Thanks Joe) that puts you in the same category as the offending Harp guy that you accused. Glenn, when you point your accusing U shaped trigger finger at some one, it points directly at you. Your work is not original either.

"And they deserve to be fairly compensated for their work just like you do. "

You gave him credit but not the compensation he (his estate) deserves. So how does that make you any different than the Artist that offends you?
Your work is not original either.

Paul

If You Love the Blues
Honk Your Hohner

Paul-

If you had read my post more carefully you would have known that I was talking about a guitar book, not a harmonica book. This is a book of Celtic guitar solos arranged by me that I hold the copyright to. I did Masters of Blues Harp as a work for hire for Hal Leonard, and do not hold the rights to that book. I was sent a tape of solos chosen by my editor, and all I did was write those solos out as accuruately as I could, plus come up with way of indicating tongue-blocks and other techniques that had never been done before. All the composers and and artists were properly credited. I had no role in any business decisions made by the publisher regarding who got paid and how much, other than my own transcriber's fee. That was all worked out by lawyers pursuant to standard industry practices.

The originality of the book lays primarily in the system I devised to indicate all the playing techniques, and if memory serves David Barrett, Jon Gindick and others have agreed that Masters of Blues Harp took the art of harmonica transcription to a new level. I also got to write some text, including thumbnail biographies of the artists that are obviously original writing. As you know, Charlie Musselwhite called it the "...coolest blues harp instruction book I've ever read." I'm rightfully proud of that.

My book "Blues and Rock Harmonica," does contain many original riffs and solos I which wrote expressly for the book.

I was wrong about about one thing, though-my guitar book is still online at Power Tabs, and the gnonococci are infringing on both me and my publisher as well as lots of other people besides. Power Tabs will be dealt with in due course through legal means.

-Glenn