[Harp-L] Remembeing Dan Lynch (alcohol and harp mixing)

I go back a bit further than Dan Lynch's. One of the first harp shows I saw was Bill Dicey and Robert Ross playing on top of a pool table (I believe) in Mill's Tavern on Bleeker Street. Later Danny Russo would take me into bathrooms for the reverb wherever I would see him. The sounds he produced made me feel faint. I was a vacuum for the sounds of the instrument back then. I met Victoria (even played with her) and Len and saw Sugar Blue in Washington Square Park playing in a different language. Got on and off stage with Louisiana Red. My problem back then (not to get too confessional) was what Edgar Allen Poe called "the fiend intemperance", i.e., drinking. I was a kid in love with harp specific blues and alcohol and they didn't mix well. By the time Dan Lynch's came around and in it's later years they didn't much care for me. And when you have long red hair and call yourself "Big Apple Red" your quite florescent. I once vaguely remember threatening to drive my car through the front of Lynch's and Bill trying to placate me about not being allowed in. I also remember being segregated and playing from the basement staircase behind a door to the left of the stage as a result of the Mayoral rule that only so many musicians could be on stage simultaneously- I had my mike behind the door while the amp was on the stage (phantom blowing). So while I have great nostalgia for all the characters (some of them almost Coltrane like in their verve and dedication) blowing harp back then it still gives me a bit of a hangover to remember how self-defeating I could be during those teens and twenties. dennis

http://www.myspace.com/blowintheblues