[Harp-L] Re: Hohner's website is dead.

  I talked to one of the harmonica world's leading customizers and
repairmen awhile back, and he told me that Hohner U.S.A. "just doesn't get
it".  Especially since Rick Epping retired.
  I love their repair people, but I notice Hohner has had a pretty good
turnover in the marketing department.  I've dealt with 3 different people in
charge over the last few years.  I'm not sure any of them actually played
the instrument.  Not a good sign.
  Last year Jason Ricci was pretty active behind the Suzuki booth at the
Denver S.P.A.H. Convention.  I assumed he was an endorser or about to be.
  Back in the 70's or early 80s, I remember writing Hohner a impassioned
letter about how much their little instrument had changed my life.  I
suggested that they put a group of their leading endorsers together
and attempt to grow the instrument's popularity.  Send these people out
travelling the country occasionally to hold clinics and demonstrations at
music stores, clubs, fests, etc.  I also recommended that they put out
follow-up recordings to "Heavy Duty Harpin'"; maybe each specializing in
blues, jazz, or country.
  I got a letter back thanking me for my "interesting ideas".  Decades
later, I notice that guys like David Barrett and Jon Gindick are out there
making money on basically the same idea I pitched to Hohner.  And that there
are now a bunch of harmonica anthology recordings by small labels selling
respectably, including Alligator's "Harp Attack".
  I hasten to add that these weren't original, brilliant ideas.  Just
common sense inspired by stuff happening around that time.  I remember
reading about Larry Adler offering to give harpists free playing advice in a
club the day after his performance.  This was during his famous
comeback tour. He expected only a few people and wound up stuck for the
entire day because so many had showed up.  In the end, I understand he had
to turn players away in order to make his gig that evening.  Myself; one of
the nicest days I ever spent was at a harmonica workshop many years ago in
Midlothian, Illinois.  A guy (who wasn't a harp player) had written
an harmonica instruction book for Hohner.  He gathered some noted players to
play and speak. Madcat Ruth, Jody Noa (an excellent, underrated blues
player), and Hugh McCaskey (the great lead player of the Stagg McMann Trio)
are the ones I remember.  There was an excellent turnout for this
demonstration; despite being held in a dinky, little music store in the
middle of nowhere.
  So to me, the interest has always been there.  Hohner just never figured
that out.  Either that; or they've just been content to coast along, resting
on their laurels.  Right now, they may be more interested in selling drums
and accordions.  The fact that Hohner U.S.A.'s list of six harmonica
endorsers includes four dead people would seem to point to that
conclusion.

Mick Zaklan