Re: [Harp-L] Vendor Fees at SPAH

I am a former president of a 501.(c).3 non-profit corporation [and still on
the BoD], and we sponsored events at a national organization's Southern
Region's convention for many years.  Until the Hurricanes here in So. Fla
several years ago forced the national org to move because of venue
destruction and other concerns.

Other concerns played a huge part in the nat.org's decision to re-schedule
their convention in a different city.

There is my caveat.  I understand events and venues and the need to pay for
space and infrastructure.

However, even how we might be stretched financially, we always provided
Flea-market tables for small "vendors" associated with our organization
within the space at cost for the event.  We never made a profit... that's
because we didn't want or need to make a profit. Remember our non- profit
status.  Our association's dues often covered cost over-runs, as well as
airline flights and hotels for guest speakers &c.  We paid out of our own
pockets to help things be as excellent as they were... for many years... and
never worried about it.  Giving is good.

We were under the umbrella of the national org. and we were given that
ability to provide tables at cost.

A table without electricity was usually $20 or less.  Tables with more
stuff, i.e. electric and sound and prominent area in the 'auditorium' cost
more, but no more than actual cost.  I don't recall anybody ever paying more
than $120.

That helped folks from far away to be able to afford to come.  And we needed
people to come.

Simple... that!  Huh?

What if you gave a convention, and nobody came?  Or all the players came and
there were no products there to showcase?

How may people do think would make plans to come from distances next year?

Part of the demise of the event was attributed to "enhanced" pricing because
of "disaster" circumstances, and when the multitudes of small vendors, who
incidentally were the core of the 'buzz' around the event disappeared, the
paying enthusiast stopped going too.  Even though tickets were at $10 for a
three-day event for the public.  $120 for a 3-night campground spot with
elec.  The national org.'s seminars weren't enough to keep people coming.

The campground of RV's and locals who hang around to socialize with our
bretheren from far away all week-end were a big part of the event.  BBQs and
BS sessions and whatever in the campground area all weekend long.  It's all
the little guys who make it.  After all the little guys quit showing up, the
locals lost enthusiasm and the large sponsors also gave up.

Now I have a free weekend in February I don't need to plan for.

Local restaurants and hoteliers also have a week in February with which they
are trying to find something to compensate.

Fishing is good down here in February.

I put a harp in my pocket when I go fishing. =8^D  Taj Mahal's fishin' Blues
ya know.  Big Pine Key rocks!

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!