[Harp-L] Tube Options

  TheMessage: 5
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 06:32:10 EDT
From: BiscuitBoy714@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Re:   Tube questions

I've asked a few  times on the lists here about knowledge of my Pearce
 G1
amplifier head and  Chandler real tube overdrive I got in a trade and
 never heard
from anybody. I  read about it, or at least what I could find on
 Harmony
Central's website.  The Pearce head gets rave reviews for an electronic
 head. The
Chandler  real tube overdrive only had one review to look at. It didn't
 really
give me  much info other than the guy thought that it was a pretty good
 unit.
This thing  is made in the US and has a 12AX7 tube in it. I'm going to
 try
and use the combo  of these two things to get somewhat of a tube sound
 going for
harp and  guitar.
        I'm moving back to KY next week  and I've got some killer
 players
lined up to work with, one of who runs the  guitar end of the biggest
 music store
in Lexington. He can really help me with  guitar sound but he aint a
 harp
player. That's my job. Can any of yall at least  help me figure the
 best tube to
put in the overdriver? I'm wanting the harp part  of this combo to
 sound the
best so I'm thinkin' a 12AU7 in the tube unit (if I  can get it taken
 apart
without killin' it) This Pearce head has 100 watts and  two separate
 channels
that you can use individually or together. I'm gonna set  up the best
 channel for
harp and then use the other one for guitar. I'll be  playing mostly
 rhythm
doing power rock from the 60's 70's on guitar and a lot of  blues on
 the
harp/sax. Can I get a decent guitar sound with the 12 AU7? Do yall
  think it's worth
it to find NOS tubes? What brand of tubes is best for harp? Can  I use
 the
tube overdriver by itself in the studio and at jams when I'm only
  playin' the
harp to good effect?
          I've got a lot of  friends back home and I can probably
 borrow a
small tube amp for harp but I  would really like to use these two units
 I have.
1. because it's somewhat unique  and 2. I don't want to have to lug two
 amps
around and I gotta have the big 100  watt head to do any Cream kind of
 power
rock. My buddy has a custom Marshall  head and 2 custom 4 12 cabs that
 he's
using. I gotta have 100 watts if I'm  gonna play any guitar with that.
 He's so
good he could pull off the guitar all  by himself but he's a kind guy
 and will
let me play some guitar just cause it  gets me off. All the guys in
 this group
are killer. I'm really looking forward  to it and I want a slick, tight
 sound
the first time I play with 'em. Please  HELP!!!
         Randy
     BiscuitBoy Blues

   PS I'll finally have the help I need to put down REAL tracks.  You
 all
will hear it first.

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(((!)))))

  Hey Randy,

Here is a comparison for the type of tube series your amp/overdrive use;
  where a 12AX7 is 100 in gain; then to lower gain (and increase amount you might turn up without feedback- thus driving output tubes to get into distortion) you could try a 12AT7 (or 5751), then a 12AY7, then a 12AU7...
  so the comparison of tubes follows-
  12AX7 rated 100 in "gain" or value
  12AT7   "       70 "     "
  12AY7  "        40 "    "
  12AU7  "        20 "    "
  There are other variants of tubes that potentially could alter, or "tweak" the sound that could be experimented with. Any one with a tube stash could let you try different tubes?
  In terms of best tubes, lots of opinions and choices.
  USA made NOS when they are strong and available at a fair price are my preference.
  Hey, I am buying American and a piece history. This could be a whole area of discussion..
  Hopefully your guitar friend will have a source and variety for you to experiment with.
  Tung-Sol, RCA, etc., lots of choices, if you can spend some time swapping tubes with a friend or two who trust their hearing to find the sound your like.
  Speakers have a big effect on sound, along with microphone, room dyanmics,stuff you already know.
  BB

Need Mail bonding?