Re: [Harp-L] godd or bad haprs? - hard playing is good when done right

I have to chime in and agree with Rob and fjm (while still agreeing
with the Iceman).For all my talk of relaxation, I am a very loud
acoustic player with a strong attack - when you're the lone harmonica
player among 40+ fiddlers, you learn how to stand out.

That said, I break relatively few reeds (more than I'd like, but even
one dead reed is an unhappy occurrence). It's a matter of efficiency in
what you feed the harp. Give it what it can handle and what it can
translate into sound. If you give it more than it can handle, or if you
give it energy that it can't radiate by vibrating at a pitch it can
handle (hence unpleasant squeaking sounds), that's when you get reeds
locking up, going out of tune, and breaking.

Starting from a point of relaxation, you learn how far you can push a
reed with attack and with sustained volume of air. You learn how to get
the stylistic effect within the limits of what the harp can handle -
and with most efficient use of your own physical energy. Be friendly to
the harp and (to borrow a phrase from Will Scarlett) friendly to the
mammal.

Winslow