Re: [Harp-L] Charlie McCoy's brand

before the purchase he plays every harp in the store.

The only time I was able to do that was when I worked in a record store (when they still had records) and they carried harps as a sideline.

Back then Hohner was pretty much a monopoly as far as I knew, and they acted like one by making mostly lousy Marine Bands and Blues Harps. I was a kid, didn't have any dough, knew even less about setting them up than I do now, so when I bought a harp there was that moment of suspense as I left the store (usually Manny's on 48th St.) as to whether I was going to be saddled with another crummy harp or if I'd lucked out.

I accumulated a very nice collection of really playable harps when I worked at that record store, and one that was so great that I still recall the pleasure of playing it nearly 40 years later.

I apologize to the people who bought my rejects.