Re: [Harp-L] was Seydel Solist Pro (Hohner Price Increase?) now difference between Soloist and Soloist Pro

Captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:

I went to the Seydel website but it doesn't seem to tell - can u tell me
what is the difference between the Soloist and Soloist Pro? I see the Pro
costs more. Btw, it would be nice for us Yankees if the Seydel website would
give the prices in US dollars.

Ron - FL Keys

     The soloist is an unsealed wood comb. The shape of the coverplates reminds me of a larger version the old Hohner Blues Harp, before MS. Most of my keys are in the Soloist because it's an excellent value. It is tuned as beautifully as anything else Seydel makes. While the comb is unsealed, it's not soft stuff like the MB pear, it's a hard maple. In my experimenting, I found it much more resistant to swelling than the Marine Band. I seal all mine with Beeswax, it's easy to do since now it is all held together with 7 reedplate screws.
  For the Soloist anyway, think the old handmade Hohner Blues Harp, only better tuned. In fact, it used to be assembled with nails like the old Blues Harp. I was a Marine Band player for 25 years and I say with confidence it's better than the Marine Band. A Soloist is $19.95. What's the Marine Band up to now?

  The Pro has a hard maple comb sealed with a food-grade sealant. Maintenance is similar to plastic, in fact, it behaves like plastic in air-tightness, no swelling, etc. The Soloist has a larger coverplate opening, therefore more volume. The holes are rounded and here is the biggest difference, it has reedplate screws going through the comb teeth. That's what makes it as tight as a plastic harp. The Soloist Pro comb differs only slightly in style from the one they use for the 1847. It also has coverplate supports.
  Some of the early Soloist Pros, my Pro is one, just say "BLUES Soloist" on the cover. I think now they've added "Pro" to it.

  The Pro is a much better harp, but I've got some attachment to the Soloist, since it reminds me of the old handmade Blues Harps and Marine Bands I used to play, but with the reedplate screws and lack of nails it is a BAZILLION times easier to work on.

  Hope that helps

  Ron, I live almost a thousand miles north of you and the last thing I'd ever call myself is a "Yankee,"  lol.

Dave Payne
  Parkersburg, West "by God" Virginia

Dave Payne Sr.
Journalist and writer