Re: [Harp-L] Soaking harps

Steel parts that can rust will rust more quickly the more you expose
them to moisture. This includes the mild steel rivets used to attach
the reeds to the reedplates and may include the covers - check the
underside for rust blossoms forming.

If you feel that soaking has merit, you might dab each rivet with a
protective coat of something that dries to a non-toxic finish, possibly

nail varnish or other plastic-based paintable substance (careful not to
let it clog the reed slot) and maybe coat the underside of the covers
in a similar fashion.

Additional parts on chromatics that can rust include the spring post on
270-style instruments and may extend to springs.

Winslow