Re: [Harp-L] Soaking harps

Story 1...The last thing an accident investigator wanted to do was hang an accident on a driver who may not be at fault. To this end, I was known to bend down and taste liquids at the scene. If it were anti freeze or battery acid, or possibly even transmission fluid, that didn't mean a whole lot. Batteries can crack, radiators can burst, and a failed transmission usually only results in a vehicle coming to a stop.

BUT, power steering or brake fluid and sometimes motor oil could be serious. Burnt oil could mean a stalled engine which would 'kill' power steering & brakes. Tasting fluids would drive my bosses crazy. Once I tasted what I thought was tranny fluid and it was blood. You can't do that sort of thing these days.

Story 2... An over turned truck exhibited signs of carrying resin. Now if it was Polyester, I could block off a lane and let traffic pass (slowly) on the berm. btw, you ALWAYS want to keep traffic moving on an Interstate because it can be fatal to people at the end of the back-log. Now if the resin were EPOXY, I would have to shut the highway down. Epoxy is much more dangerous (fumes are much more toxic). I felt it was worth the risk to save the lives of the poor souls at the back of the traffic....SO

In an effort to determine what I had, I went to the quarantined scene and tasted the resin. Thankfully it was only Polyester, so I was able to let traffic pass. Every one was happy and business continued as usual. Everyone was happy.

Story 3... A friend's 60 year old dad was a picture of health. He was spraying something at his land. Though he used a mask, he didn't wear gloves, his hands absorbed the liquid, he got toxic shock and 4 hours later he was gone. A real tragedy.

conclusion? We have to be a lot more careful these days. I believe this is what Elizabeth is saying. Nothing more, nothing less. She is very sincere type and concerned about everyone's health.

I was never very antiseptic. My mother believed in children taking in 'some' germs because she felt that it would help your resistance. Well, these days there are things out there that they don't even know what they are. And you can die real quick.

I used to like to dip my harps in ice cold Wodka (before I added the ginger ale). I think:
1... The liquid puts a coating on the reeds and for lack of a better term, it 'closes up' the tolerances between the reeds & plates until blown dry.
2... Another theory of mine is that since the reed plates have a much larger mass than the reeds, cold ANYTHING will cause the modulus of contraction to differ between THEM and the much much smaller mass reeds. This also may close up the tolerance(s).
3... The Wodka may kill bacteria (like Stacci Botrus), (giggle)

smokey joe