[Harp-L] Re: Soaking harps

OK,
here we have again one of these immortal list evergreens, though
the actual comments don´t concern with the mere soaking of wooden
harp combs.

Well, Vern, I always read with great interest your repeated efforts to
explain the physical rules concerning the function of harps, but you
see that you have to mention it again and again.

It´s a wellknown fact that most people "hate" mathematics. The younger
folks are experts for soccer but can draw a square root only by
means of a pocket calculator,respectively, they often don´t know at all
what a sqare root is. The pupils of Germany e.g., the so-called folk of the
poets and thinkers (Volk der Dichter und Denker) actually range in
the center field of the international PISA study. So, we both as
"elder statesmen" can be thankful to our enjoyed school system.
My English teacher studied in Oxford and the teacher for mathematics
was simultaneously university lecturer.

Now, you wrote:

<The linear coefficient of expansion of brass is about 10 parts-per-million
< per degree F.    Moreover,  it is the same for the reeds as for the plate.
< Small differences of alloy composition have little effect on this property
< of brass.......snip....
< The linear coefficient of expansion of brass is about 10 parts-per-million
< per degree F.  Moreover,  it is the same for the reeds as for the plate.
< Small differences of alloy composition have little effect on this property
< of brass. >

Yes, absolutely, every teacher for physics will confirm but not all harp
players. They often have that philosophy you mentioned in your
example of cleaning the car windows:

< My car always seems to run better after I have
< washed the windshield. >

Yes, and the same goes for soaked harps by one these numerous
described procedures AND for warming harps too.

R. Hunter:

> It'll probably perform pretty badly until it warms up.  When your hot
> breath hits the cold reeds, moisture from your breath will condense on the
> reeds, making them wet, sluggish, and perhaps completely unresponsive.
>
> This is why Robert Bonfiglio warms his harps with a small electric blanket
> or heating pad before he performs.  You want the reeds to be as warm as
> your breath to prevent condensation. >

Vern:

< Any appreciable condensation on the reeds is shaken off by their vibration.

< The reason that Bonfiglio and others warm their harps is indeed to suppress

< condensation.  However it is not for any "sluggishness" affect of the
< reeds.. They play chromatics where the condensation can cause the
< windsavers to stick and pop. >

Yes, that´s the only understandable reason though a possible valve
sticking/popping can´t be prevented by mere warming of the harp.
I know, Vern, that you don´t agree completely at this point.

But I to repeat and insist on my observations of harp warming:

To avoid condensation on the reeds the harp has to be warmed up
to body temperature and that´s not possible. I doubt that
R. Bonfiglio achieves this temperature with his electric blanket.
But even when a harp has been carried in the pocket for hours
the first draws of cold atmospheric air balance the warming
immediately.

The valve sticking can only be avoided or reduced by
scratching the reed plate near the slots as Vern has
repeatedly described and  by using one-ply valves of a relative
small elasticity instead of these "paper tigers" Hohner or other
factories aren´t able or not willing to change them for a working
alternative.

Siegfried