Re: [Harp-L] SPAH Updates

Thanks for the update, Paul.... I am really looking forward to SPAH, because I haven't made Buckeye or SPAH for the past two years. OK, now back to practice. This really sounds like a great gathering. I hope you have time to sit in on a jam session.
I have been invited to play a solo thing tomorrow (Sat) and I'm not really ready. Our town has an old-time baseball team that does exhibitions of 1800's style baseball and they want me to play some old-time harmonica at their 10-year festival. I'm just doing about 20 minutes as people line up for supper. I have "Take Me out to the Ballgame" and some other older songs, and I think I'll just make up some stuff to fill out the time. It should be interesting.

Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
a fool for the harp and struggling with his playing in Minnesota

-----Original Message----- From: spahconvention06@xxxxxxxxxxx To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Sent: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 9:43 pm Subject: [Harp-L] SPAH Updates

Just a few updates from the planning committee on the convention in Brookfield
WI August 14-18th

Stan Harper's bringing six part harmonica arrangements that will be played by
Stan, Al and Judy Smith, Tom Styrker and two others during the convention. It
will be an historical moment that has not been done for quite some time. It was
the highlight of the 1998 convention.

We have a Brazilian harp player named Pablo who happens to be in country on a
tour and plays a mean chromatic in the Brazilian tradition.

The trio world will be well represented with Danny Wilson, Bob Herendon, and a
bunch of Chicago players that we haven't seen at SPAH in a long time. For them,
we will have a mini concert time called Trio Time.

LD Miller and the Miller Band will play a short set on Sat night. LD and his
brother placed second last year in the summer hit Does America Have Talent.
Jason Ricci tells me that LD has a chop that he can't quite get, So Jason's
really excited about learning from the kid. Jason will be in attendance all week
as a guest of SPAH's His only job during the week will be pouring water during
the Filisko Teach In. Imagine Jason on vacation. I can't.

On the blues side of the harp Jim Liban has hired Billy Flynn for the back up
band. Billy hails from Green Bay and is pumped about coming this year. We
tried to hire him 3 years ago. Joe Filsiko has invited numerous guests that
should make this one of the best SPAH's ever.

I'ts is looking to be a great gathering. I'll have seminars posted in a day or
two. The hotel is booked for Sat and Fri nights and getting close on the other
nights. We will be looking into other hotels close that may be able to help you
out, if your planning on coming this late.

Paul