[Harp-L] Filip Jers: Beautiful Overblow Diatonic and Chromatic

Talking of harmonica competitions, I'm a bit dubious too (music is not
like the 100m!), but they do bring some amazing talent to wider
attention.

Carlos del Junco made his name at the Harmonica World Championships held
in Trossingen, Germany, in 1993. He was the winner in both the diatonic
jazz and diatonic folk/blues/country section, and has gone on to become
one of the most respected players around.

In 2005 a young man from Sweden emulated that double feat, but has not
gained wide recognition in the harmonica community as yet. It seems many
on Harp-L haven't heard of him, as I never see his name mentioned. He
certainly deserves to be better known, as he is not only a brilliant
technical player of overblow diatonic and jazz chromatic, but also has a
very musical sensibility.

His name is Filip Jers. He's only about 20 years old, but his playing
has a maturity and taste that belies his age. He has a lovely touch on
overblow diatonic, with beautiful tone and vibrato. He only took up the
chromatic harmonica a couple of years ago, but is already an excellent
jazz player on that too.

Check out the clips on his new MySpace page:
http://www.myspace.com/filipjers

The diatonic ones are "Vem Kan Sengla" and "Someday My Prince Will
Come", the chromatic track is "Swansea City", and he plays accordion on
"Delsbovals".

As the current Hohner World Champion diatonic player, it's a pity Filip
won't be at SPAH. Hopefully next year...?

Brendan
WEB: http://www.brendan-power.com <http://www.brendan-power.com/>