[Harp-L] Gerorgia

In a message dated 7/28/2007 4:59:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, harp-L.org
writes:
If your playing it in the key of G then try it on an A harp or a D  harp.  It
lays out so much better in those positions.  Don't think  about the positions
just let your ear guide you

Imho, playing it in 2nd position has the best  layout.  2nd position is
certainly more basic then these other  two positions.  This song is a good
candidate for a Country Tuned  harp (5th hole draw raised a half step), which is how i
usually play  it.
As suggested above, using an A harp requires playing  in 11th position, where
the tonic note is 3 hole bend down one whole step; also  6 hole OB.  Using a
D harp requires playing it in 12th position, wher the  tonic note is 5 hole
draw; also 2 hole draw bent down one whole step).  I  just tried it, and to me,
it lays out best in 2nd positon.
I  just checked Charlie McCoy's key sheet, available for a free DL at his
website.  On his 1986 album, "One For the Road", Charlie also plays  "Georgia On
My Mind" (not Gerorgia - geez, how is anyone gonna look that up in  the
archives?) in 2nd position, playing in key of G on a Country Tuned C  harp.  This
enables him to get that beautiful expressive bend on the 5 hole  draw instead
of having to OB it less expressively.
Fwiw, it  looks like that album is only available on LP and cassette.
Ron - FL  Keys