Re: [Harp-L] Georgia

In a message dated 7/28/2007 6:55:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Captron100@xxxxxxx writes:

Imho,  playing it in 2nd position has the best  layout.  2nd position is
certainly more basic then these other  two positions.  This song  is a good
candidate for a Country Tuned  harp (5th hole draw raised a  half step),
which is how i
usually play  it.
As suggested above,  using an A harp requires playing  in 11th position,
where
the tonic  note is 3 hole bend down one whole step; also  6 hole OB.  Using a

D harp requires playing it in 12th position, wher the  tonic note is  5 hole
draw; also 2 hole draw bent down one whole step).  I   just tried it, and to
me,
it lays out best in 2nd  positon.

Unless you are one of those 3% (number I pulled out of the air indicating
very few play at that level) that plays in a very advanced way, I agree in the
sense that it is much more "organic" in 2nd with that one short OB needed in
the  chorus. (You can also jump up an octave, a la Jerry Portnoy in his version
of  Misty, at that point to get the needed note from 9 hole exhale bend).
Country  tuning is also a fun way to explore "tunes" that are a bit beyond blues.

12th position gives all the notes needed w/out OB, but you must master the
notes created through basic inhale bending techniques - all of them in hole  3
and the lowest one in hole 2.

The Iceman

ps -I took the liberty of correcting the spelling in the subject  line.