Re: [Harp-L] Seydel 1847 overblow-friendly

Ron wrote:
<< Although I no longer have a moustache, it looks like these covers will
not grab a whisker either.

Yes, I find it moustache-friendly too :-{)
I also love the fact that the coverplates don't have engraved numbers on
them.

<<But I don't get the OB squeal that Ludo referred to, which is typical for
LO's and from what i read, other Chinese harps (tho i have never played
another brand of Chinese harp). Tho I don't believe my 1 hole OB is doable,
am even improving in my ability to get the 7 OD.

I should've recorded an out of the box version first to show the enormous
difference.
7 OD was impossible to play and all other OB's had a bad squeal when
sustaining (!!) them (the squeal often doesn't occur when playing the note
only briefly)
Ron, if your OB 1 isn't doable, how do you know it won't squeal? ;-)
The harp I used here is a G BTW, not the most obvious to have an easy 1 OB -
have you heard the sample?  It comes out like a bell.

<<I have yet to touch my 1847 to try to improve it's playability, partly
because I wanted to play it stock to enable me to assess it as an
out-of-the-box harp.

It's a great out of the box harp for traditional blues and such without
OB's.

<<So, to be thorough and to set the record straight, I may have been
unfair in my initial assessment of it's ability to OB. I initially found the
hole 4 OB was not easy enough for me, but I find that I am improving in my
ability to OB it.

The first thing I did was re-gap, and that already helped a lot.

<<In all fairness I admit that part of the problem (maybe even
all of the problem?), could be me and not the harp.

I haven't heard you play, so I can't comment.

<<Although the 1847 is not
cheap, I now see my 1847 as a good value and an excellent harp.
My 1847 is the most comfortable and most well built stock harp I have ever
played.

I agree, though I must say Hohner's Marine Band Deluxe comes a very close
second - soundwise I find it a beauty too.
Mind you, this is my first 1847 - time will tell if my enthusiasm is
justified.

Ludo, Antwerpen, Belgium (haven't been to Florida :-() (yet ;-))

PS off to see Hazmat Modine and Bill Barrett on their tour - can hardly wait
till it's Friday :-)