Re: [Harp-L] Seydel 1847 overblow-friendly

Ron wrote:

<<Ludo, re you re-gapping the 1847, do u start your gapping by pushing the
reed into the slot near the rivet?

Yes, I've attempted different gapping-"tricks" as well, but this seems to be
the best for me since it is so easy it's a no-brainer; just take a
tooth-pick and push. I'm no way near a pro-customizer

<<the stainless steel reeds present any problems compared to brass reeds?
Were the SS reeds harder to work with?

Not for gapping, but tuning might be a different story - that's a matter of
the harp going way out of tune though first, and then see how hard it is to
tune again - I hope it'll be a long time before I can experiment with that
;-)

<<I now see that at some point I'll have to re-gap, emboss and chamfer mine.
What tool do u use to camfer along the edges of the slots?

For embossing I guess you mean; a tuning fork.
For chamfering the slot ends I use a needle file.

<<I've only used a glass cutter, as shown in Rupert Oysler's DVD, "Harp
Repair & Maintenance".

I've been wanting to try that, but so far shied away from attempts out of
fear for slipping and ruining a harp I just worked on for hours. I'll be
brave enough to try it one of these days :-) (matter of fact - I just put
"glasscutter" on my shopping list, after typing that sentence ;-))
It is indeed a weak point in my tinkering that the slots near the rivet
aren't embossed.

<<I have a nice tweaked gigging Bb SP20 which plays very nicely for me,
which
is another reason I haven't been motivated to tweak my 1847.

Isn't it great to have a good harp, plus a back-up that's pretty good too
though ;-)

<<No, sorry, I haven't heard your sample. I'm on dial-up and these audio
clips stop and start a million times so that they are damn near
unlistenable, not to mention that they take forever to load.

If you like I can send it offlist - it's about 2.5 MB

<<Has Hohner fixed the problem with not fully sealing those MB Deluxes, as
stated on this list?

I've only got one Deluxe - it has no issues with airtightness or warping of
the wood.
It's one of my fav harps really, with the 1847 (apart from the few specials
I have from pro-customizers)

<<Hey, weren't u the person who plays only on a C harp?

The harp in the review is in G, remember ;-)
I have a complete range (apart from high A and G), but my preference lies
between Bb and G harps and I rarely touch anything above a C.
You're thinking of my buddy Tinus probably; he's the guy who put
www.overblow.com together.

I'm glad to see you appreciate Rupert's DVD so much - to me it also was an
eye opener, although I must give credit to Ben Bouman and Tinus Koorn for
showing me their ropes before that time - actually I owe a lot to sooooo
many good people here at the L who shared their knowledge since I first hit
Harp-L about 15 years ago.
There... it's out... feels good 2... should've said that years ago :-)

cheers
Ludo