[Harp-L] Having your teacher sit in for you

Well my bandmates scheduled a gig midweek w/o asking everyone first, and I was going to be out of town on business. As I am the soloist and our stuff is almost all original tunes that I have worked out melody and rythmn parts to, my participation is pretty integral to a successful show - or so I tell myself.

We tried to cancel the gig, but the bar wouldn't hear it.  Stuck, I called my teacher, a great guy and prominent local player with tons of chops, experience, style, range and balls and asked him if he'd sit in for the gig cold.  He said yeah so I  made sure that he had the songlist and keys and other notes on the ins and outs of playing with our band (not that he needed it) and made arrangements to have the gig recorded. The show went well, band was impressed (OK well blown away), as my teacher was brilliant as expected and the recording came out great.

I anxously and a bit nervously listened to his approach, position choices, licks, melody vs. rythmn and a host of other audio components, gear choices comping and soloing mix etc. In short- probably the best learning tool I have ever had.  Get somone great to play your stuff and you will learn a ton.  Of course it's a bit risky, in a having a porn star hang out with your girlfriend sort of way, but well worth it. (If you love it, set it free)

I spent the next week listening to and breaking down his version of the songs and then tried to incorporate just a few of the things he did into each song that I really liked.  Had a lesson with him and brought the CD to the lesson and together we went through all of the songs with me asking the obvious "what are you doing there?" and "How did you do that?"

Our next gig was a weekend farmer's market gig and we had to be on stage for the full 5 hours it was open less a few short  breaks.  We played our usual sets more than once and it was an environment that permitted and was tolerant of a little experimentation on my part.

Bottom line, the bandmates all told me that my playing was inspired and as I usually think I'm boring them all with the same old same old, it was nice to be able to show them some new licks, techniques and rythmn patterns. Also it was a lot more fun for me as well.

I highly recommend this for those who feel they are stuck in a developmental rut - I learned more from this than all of the self practice, CD technique lessons and playing along with the ODBGs. I think that is because the harp parts in our original songs all sprang from my creative imagination and ability and  it was a vested reality check on what I need to improve technique-wise, and in some ways it was also an affirmation of those things that I think held up to my teacher's interpretation in the way I play the songs.

Just thought I'd pass that along in case it might help someone as much as it did me.

Ross
www.sassparillapdx.com