Re: [Harp-L] overblow-friendly & Thanx to Fernando

Good advice Fernando;
                                      The best reason for wanting to
play overblows (perhaps the only reason) is that you keep hearing a note
you want to play, and that's the only way to get it.
                                      On the other hand, if you never
play those notes, you might never 'hear' them.
RED

>>> "Fernando Bresslau" <fernando@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 31/07/2007 19:01:20

Hi Randy,

overbends aren't the black magic trick that they seem to be. Nor are
they a
must. I myself can play overbends well enough to test and access
harmonicas
and their playability, but I don't have the training nor the musical
knowledge to use them. I also don't miss them for what I want to play.
I do
use the 6 overblow quite often, but this is for me the easiest to get,
and
even then I am pretty sure that it ain't in tune.
So, don't worry about overbends. They are there if you need them and
you can
learn them. There is so much info around nowadays, that this shouldn't
be a
problem. It will surely be a good idea to have somebody show them for
you.
You will probably then recognize that the overbends are in fact
something
which you seem to be already doing. Getting all overbends needs lots
of
practice, of course, but also, and very important, you need a well
setup
instrument if you are serious about it. It is important to have the
confidence that, if the overbends don't come, it is a matter of
technique,
and not of instrument adjustment. Any of the customizers on the
harmonicas
scene could provide you with such an instrument. And, if they play you
the
overbends before handing you over the instrument, you are set to go.
Of course, as stated before, overbends are not a must. They are just
another
tool in the technique case of the harmonica player. But so is precise
bending, interval playing, tongue block, tongue or corner switch,
vibrato
and so on.

All the best,
Fernando

On 7/31/07, BiscuitBoy714@xxxxxxx <BiscuitBoy714@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>         I kept hearing about that Overblow site and never checked it
out
> until now. Thanx Fernando. I have to admit that every time I read
about yooz
> guys doing those overblows and overdraws it makes me wonder if I'm
not so
> far behind that I'll never catch up. I've been playing a long time
and up
> until now felt pretty good about my abilities. I can draw bend all
the right
> notes and blow bend all but the 10 hole with impunity, I get the 10
about
> half of the time so I stay away from it unless it is absolutely
necessary,
> but these overblows are like the mythical Holy Grail to me. I've
found that
> I can play the blues licks that everybody else does most of the time,
but
> man, I'm not even sure if I know what an overblow sounds like. I have
this
> dial up computer service and can't download the sound bites that have
the
> overblows on them. Can anybody tell me what they are supposed to
sound like.
> I've been playing around with it by bending the draw note and then
keeping
> that embouchure to blow and I THINK I have it