Re: [Harp-L] Horns Sounds Like Harp Sounds Like Horns

This isn't harp related but maybe it is...

I am a ham radio operator and love to operate the mode using morse code.  I
learned "the code" from my father who was a radio op in WWII when I was
about 4 years old.  I didn't get my radio license for another 20 years and
he had passed away by then, and therefore I never 'copied' him and he never
saw me operating a morse key.

However, one day an amazing thing happened.

I was working a guy in Michigan using a "bug" key which is a semi-automatic
morse key which does the dits using a spring.  Anyway, "bug" users can add
"swing" to the rythm of their code sending, and after doing it for years
will develop a distinctive style.  He said to me, in code, "Love your Lake
Erie Swing."

Longer story short... Lake Erie Swing is a certain rythm of code sending
that the operators that worked for the Ohio-Penn Railway had.  My father was
a telegrapher after the war and worked for the O-P rail.  And I have that
Lake Erie Swing in my "fist" without ever hearing my father work a bug.  It
must be either genetic, or maybe the vocal accent that those of us from that
geographic area of the country have.  I know, I can tell on the radio when
I'm talking voice ops with someone that comes from that part of the country,
and I can tell west texas accent,and I can tell cuban spanish accent from
mexican etc.

So, who knows... but I still have that Lake Erie Swing, and it probably
shows up in my harp playing too, I'll bet.

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!