Re: [Harp-L] Stevie Wonder's Harmonica

Jose Texido wrote:
<I always wonder about the steve wonder's harmonica tunings. For example,
<when he plays songs like Is't she lovely or "there must be an angel"
<with annie lennox. Both songs has similar harp solos, and I wonder if they <are in the same key, and which key is he using, so I ask you if you know the
<exactly key of those plays?

So far as I know, Stevie usually plays a C chromatic.  He's capable of doing very good stuff in lots of different keys, which is a sign that he knows the instrument inside and out.

<I'm really novice in this type of playing, so I'd like to start playing
<Steve Wonder's method. Do you have a web page, tutorial or some useful
<material to bring in order to understand his licks?

My book "Jazz Harp," available from amazon.com, includes transcriptions of 3 classic Stevie Wonder solos, with comments on how they can be played on the chromatic harp.  The book now ships with a CD that contains illustrations of a number of points in the book.

In general, Wonder's style is not extremely demanding technically--most intermediate level chromatic players could play many of his lines.  It's relatively easy to duplicate what he does on a particular solo when you see a transcription and have a chance to practice it.  It's easy enough to learn a few of his favorite tricks, such as the way he works the slide on the chromatic to execute quick trills and turns, and apply them to your own solos.  It's much more difficult to improvise as brilliantly as Stevie, because he has a rare combination of  melodic, harmonica, and rhythmic sense.  It's that musicianship that makes it easy for him to fit in perfectly with everything from African bands to James Taylor.

Regards, Richard Hunter