Re: [Harp-L] funk scales

"46long Blake" wrote:
<I dunno, I kinda like the idea of a "funk" mode. Then again, I'm sure
<that the theory monsters on this list might object......

Dunno if I'm a theory monster, but I don't object.  I transcribed a lot of King Curtis solos when I was working on "Jazz Harp", and I found that he used two scales most of the time:

1)  Pentatonic (in C, C-D-E-G-A). He used this scale going up and down, and circling around a note with rhythmic riffs.

2)  Blues (in C, C-Eb-F-G-Bb)--often with passing tones. He liked this scale especially for dramatic, long lines descending from a big high note.  He also used blues scale licks as a contrast to the pentatonic lines.

There's yer funk modes.  And remember, ya can't spell funk without fun.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter